Saturday, August 6, 2011

Old but Still Having Fun...

A little over 2 weeks have passed since a friend mentioned that some friends get together at the park 3-4 times per week to exercise. Since I'm not a morning person I asked the time of this gathering hoping that I could ignore this opportunity but no it was from 6:30-7:30pm. Then I asked if there are any folks my age and the answer was "no" but that everyone just goes at their own pace. Since I couldn't find any reasons not to do this I showed up on Monday and quickly I realized that maybe I should have asked a few more questions. Here's how the first week went...

Monday-
Exercise stations- everyone assigned an exercise to do for 1 minute then you rotate in line and do the exercise that was being done in that spot. Rotating down the line until you have done all the exercises. Now what's a minute...depends on how old and puddy you are evidently. Then you do them all again for 2 minutes each. WOW have I put this off too long. A few more exercises then up to the picnic tables. Great! rest time...NOT! Now we are doing steps on the picnic table No little platform for us but rather we are stepping up on the bench of the picnic table. Then some squats and pushups with hands on ground and feet on bench. Then a bit of running. Finally the hour is over....and SO AM I but I finished and that is good. Just wish I hadn't parked the car sooooo far away.

Tuesday-
Some new exercises and some from Monday but all done with weights in each hand. Then bear crawls down the field and crab walks back up the field ...twice! With weights in hand. Yep you guessed it back up to the picnic tables but this time the step ups are with weights for 1 minute. Then step ups with weights and curls for 1 minute then step ups with weights and curls and push ups for 1 minute. Then all of it again for 2 minutes. Why are these minutes sooooo long?! The hour is over and the car is closer but I needed about 5 minutes just sitting on the picnic table to gather the ability to walk to the car.

Wednesday-
NO EXERCISES ON WEDNESDAYS! Good thing cause I can hardly move. I am exhausted. And it doesn't help that going up and down the steps in my house hurts. Advil and off to work I went. Home by 3pm and on the couch with the remote. Finally time to sleep. No one ever told me it takes so many muscles to roll over in bed at night. Up for more Advil.

Thursday-
Today is Ultimate Frisbee day. Now I've never thrown or caught a frisbee before but I learned quick. This game is a bit like football but when you catch the frisbee you have to stop and throw it to your team mates to advance up the field to the goal. Lots and lots of running. Once a team scores 5 goals you get to stop just long enough to drink some water and back at it again. This went on for 60 minutes....did lots of running and some walking but I stayed in the game and gave it my all. Lots of fun and surprisingly nothing hurt and I felt pretty good when we were done.

Friday-
Class was canceled today and I had to work anyway. By the way I have at least 15 years on the others and "everyone goes at their own pace" well maybe but I keep trying to keep up. Plus it's a bit fun to see those younger than me sweating and breathing hard. Think I'll keep doing this for awhile.
Life is meant to be lived it is not just for existing. I want to enjoy life and that means being able to move and have some endurance. In a short time I've learned that 55 isn't such a bad age and having fun while getting some exercise is a good thing. So I encourage anyone reading this to go out and find some friends to exercise with. Have some fun...you will be better off for having done it. Forget your age....just have FUN!

No comments: