Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How to Buy a Gas Barbecue Grill

 I promised my husband he could have a new gas grill next year. Well, it's next year and I've begun to look at grills....this is more complicated than I imagined. There are so many designs and sizes and options, not to mention do I want to assemble it or let the store do it. So I did what I always do when there are too many options. I googled how to buy a grill. Love Google! The following simplified it for me ....
Step 1Most gas grills produce considerably less heat than the average charcoal grill, so look for a model with burners placed close to the cooking grate. Plus I don't like to wait for the charcoal to heat up!

Step 2Consider how often and how much you'll be grilling. If you rarely cook for more than two people, you'll want to look into a small, portable model. But if you like to entertain for lots of family and friends, then make sure the grill you're considering will hold at least 10 burgers or chicken breasts at once. My husband will want the biggest grill he can find...I think it is bragging rights.

Step 3Choose a model with wide (not widely-spaced) grill bars. Cast-iron grill bars sear food exceptionally well. Since my husband thinks he is "king of the grill" cast iron is more manly.

Step 4Look for a grill with dual heat control so that you can control the burners separately. You can cook hot dogs and burgers, for example, or grill just one steak on a small area. Good idea then my steak can be in one area while his hamburgers are in another.

Step 5Look for a model with a drip tray to make cleanup easier. Yeah no grease better drip on my deck!

Step 6Pay attention to quality, even if you'll use your grill only on summer holidays or occasional weekends. A cheap grill won't last and will likely be so frustrating to use that you won't even want to light it up. My husband pulls the grill close to the patio doors so he can grill while it is snowing. It's true.

Step 7Drag the floor model around the store to make sure it will be easy to move on your patio or deck. Wrestling with a grill won't bring you much pleasure. Ummmmm...not going to happen.

Step 8Avoid side burners, expensive extras that most people don't often use. Side shelves, however, are very handy for plates and condiments. Good point!

Step 9Think about storage. If your region gets extreme weather, you won't want to leave your grill uncovered in the elements. Make sure the grill will fit in your shed if that's where you plan to store it. I think a grill cover will do nicely.

OK so google gives me answers and I turn them into what works for me. Better go shopping now.

No comments: